Sunday, July 09, 2006


"This is the best thing to wear for today, you understand. Because I don't like women in skirts and the best thing is to wear pantyhose or some pants under a short skirt, I think. Then you have the pants under the skirt and then you can pull the stockings up over the pants underneath the skirt. And you can always take off the skirt and use it as a cape. So I think this is the best costume for today."

- Edith 'Little Edie' Bouvier Beale

I watched Grey Gardens for the third time last night. It's such an intriguing voyage. This is a film I could never get bored of, in fact I'm addicted to it. It's a 1976 documentary by Albert and David Maysles about an eccentric mother (Big Edie) and her daughter (Little Edie) who live in a dilapidated 28-room mansion in East Hampton. Watching it will take you through a whole gamut of emotions. What is it about this film that makes one obsessed with it? The Maysles open the door to the life of this offbeat pair and this makes me want to jump in and find all the missing links to understand the situation. How can someone go from being a débutante to a recluse in a "should be" condemned house? I guess it can be a slippery slope.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails